Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
10%
Fizdale
29%
Doc Rivers
2%
Mark Jackson
7%
Budenholzer
29%
Messina
No votes
Stackhouse
17%
Borrego
No votes
Becky Hammon
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

CommonSense wrote:After we ran Larry Brown and Mike D'Antoni out of town I don't think there's a coach we could get that would really move the needle or that I would be really excited about. And I know those guys were legitimately bad with us but at some point you have to look at the organization. With the Knicks, it just seems like we could end up with Pop and we'd be trashing him 10 games into year 2 like everyone else.
Excellent post! Hit the nail on the head. Hornacek wants to move the ball up and down the court and he is stuck with an old PG and talented big men that don't run the floor well. No one's fault really but in recent years, the only guy that seemed to have a team that fit his style was Woody and he got good results.

Personally, I like Hornacek's style but his rotations I do wonder about but who knows what goes on in practice where game time is really earned.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

dcapodic wrote:Excellent post! Hit the nail on the head. Hornacek wants to move the ball up and down the court and he is stuck with an old PG and talented big men that don't run the floor well. No one's fault really but in recent years, the only guy that seemed to have a team that fit his style was Woody and he got good results.

Personally, I like Hornacek's style but his rotations I do wonder about but who knows what goes on in practice where game time is really earned.
he could start playing Burke a lot more
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 817

Why in the world we are playing Jack is beyond comprehension..

And can we please bring in a small forward?
Don Che
Likes given: 9

if you want a high draft pick.....you play JJ

maybe Jeff knows something we dont
dcapodic

taowave wrote:Why in the world we are playing Jack is beyond comprehension..

And can we please bring in a small forward?
Biggest worry about "why" is that he may be afraid to expose Frank to too much. I REALLY hope that is not the case and he is just being cautious and waiting until after the trade deadline or the Knicks falling totally out of it to change things over.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
NewlyKnicked

dcapodic wrote:Biggest worry about "why" is that he may be afraid to expose Frank to too much. I REALLY hope that is not the case and he is just being cautious and waiting until after the trade deadline or the Knicks falling totally out of it to change things over.
Not sure I get what you mean. It's pretty clear in all Horny/Perry interviews that they're trying to ease Frank into it. So yeah, Horny is trying not to "expose Frank to too much" if that's the meaning you were going for, but it doesn't worry me if that's a strategy actually.

I'm really asking, removing my Frank police hat for once ;)
dcapodic

NewlyKnicked wrote:
Not sure I get what you mean. It's pretty clear in all Horny/Perry interviews that they're trying to ease Frank into it. So yeah, Horny is trying not to "expose Frank to too much" if that's the meaning you were going for, but it doesn't worry me if that's a strategy actually.

I'm really asking, removing my Frank police hat for once ;)
I actually totally agree with what you are saying :) Many people are questioning why Frank is not getting more PT or even starting and it seems like they have decided not to rush him (for whatever reason) and that is ok. My comment was more along the lines of....are they really worried that he couldn't handle more and it might either expose his flaws (before they have a chance to work on them) or somehow cut into his confidence (he already seems a bit tentative which can be explained away with his age).

To me, Frank does not look like the kinda guy you just throw into the fray and try to work things out there. Though I don't always agree with the 3-5 year buffer he seems to be getting for criticism, I also want to see them work with him the what they think is best for his long term development. So, I have no issues with them taking it slow.
NewlyKnicked

Ok, gotcha. We seem to be on the same page.

Frank evidently needs work both on skills and confidence, he isn't (to all fans dismay me included) a plug-and-play type of player. I may now and then ask for more pt for my boy, but in the end I'll trust the coaching staff to select the best route to take with him however frustrating it is.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Great night letting Tim Chuck away making one shot
Fxck Adam Silver
taowave

Jeff keeps this up,his days will be numbered
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1121

Don Che wrote:if you want a high draft pick.....you play JJ

maybe Jeff knows something we dont
Don Che

The fact that there was a time this year that we thought we had a chance to make the playoffs...proves Jeff did more than. I thought he would with this roster.

I went into this year thinking lottery.... team won some games and it triggered possible playoffs and injuries happen and it all settled down back into lottery.

But Jeff can't make water into wine.....the only question I have is...his identity as a coach and does it fit with the roster we are going to have
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

I don't think we have what he needs to run a viable system. More than simply talent, his type of talent. I think Frank might be more of a SG in his system and he needs an attacking PG but I'm not gonna make suggestions yet who cuz we could come back next Sept and Frank could show us something new.

Players actually don't learn much during the season, tgier bodies don't transform during the season. We could come back and he's picked u p a skill, gained some muscle, who knows.
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

The attacking scoring pg is Burke. Frank is more of the defensive athletic shooting guard.

Both have a lot of similarities to the Felt-Prig 2pg that catapulted us to 54 wins and the 2 seed.

One is a defensive gnat (Frank) while the other is really an sg trap in a pg body. (Burke)

we now have better younger and more agile version of the 2pg.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
taowave

We could have Zeke and Dumars,but if you are going to stick with the likes of Jack and Baker,all is lost..

How does Burke get a DNP??

I am rapidly losing my patience with Hornacek...

Mark Jackson could be interesting

Ild bring up Phil,but I promised Spree I would behave.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1121

The more I think about what you and max are saying, tao...............the more I realize Frank could possibly be more of a "Dumars-type combo guard" that can run the offense in spurts but is better suited as a complementary defensive 2-guard alongside a more "dynamic" lead guard.
Don Che

Doesn't need to be a lead guard....could be a wing also

Frank can be out dumars/dennis Johnson/draymond ...we just need another playmaker/scorer and we are set
maxinquaye11

the main issue with the 2pg has always been giving up defense in the 2 position because of the point guard being smaller than the shooting guard. Long and tall Frank Ntilikina solves that and his shooting form tells me that he can become a good shooter overtime like many other NBA players.

Burke is the real deal. We all know this by now except Hornacek who for some old stubborn Woodson reason is still refusing to use the 2pg that landed him a coaching job. He should've studied knick history and learned from Woodson. Come to think of it, lets go get Woodson! Like D'antoni, perhaps he has already learned his mistakes and now has been humbled. Let the 2pg truth set you free.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on February 4th, 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcapodic

Don Che wrote:Doesn't need to be a lead guard....could be a wing also

Frank can be out dumars/dennis Johnson/draymond ...we just need another playmaker/scorer and we are set
Ok, I will ask this again....what makes you think he could fill this role? I remember the reasons people gave for why he was gonna be a good PG and now it seems they are backing off that and want to push him to a 2 guard.
dumars/dennis Johnson/draymond
At this point, I would be ecstatic if he gets into this kinda group. No PC police but he is getting pulled a lot lately and people still keep planning all of these great things.
maxinquaye11

Dumars yes. A 2pg line up that brought the Detroit Pistons 2 championships like the Rolls Royce backcourt of Walt and Monroe.