Around the NBA 2017-18

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

shakespeare
Likes given: 0

nazrmohamed wrote: Let's build teams around them.
You understand.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:Dcap. In all due respect, before the season-ending injury, Cousins was having MVP-like season. I mean, I hear what you’re saying about Anthony Davis - another franchise player without the strong supporting cast ever since he entered the league. But don’t let that cloud your judgment about Cousins.
I guess what I don't get is that there are all of these expressions that are used to describe players and I don't know where one begins and the other ends. Can you tell me, I see you all throwing them around all the time like a secret language :)

Star
Alpha
Franchise Player

What do they mean, wha t are the similarities and differences in them? When I see them used, generally it is different players. For instance it seems from what I read KD and Curry are stars.....KP is an Alpha....Cousins is a Franchise player....what am I missing :)
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
shakespeare

As far as professional basketball, Curry is a superstar. Durant is a superstar. Porzingis is a star. DeRozan, Greek Freak, AD, Cousins, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul are stars. Kyrie, LeBron, Kawhi, are superstars. When you’ve won awards like MVP voting among other stars then you become a superstar, cause you shine brighter than others.

NOTE: Most will probably feel like stars and superstars are alphas, period, but I don’t see it that way.

Westbrook and Harden are alphas. Durant isn’t an alpha. Alphas are like the leaders of their pack. They display a dominant trait that isn’t found in everyone. For example, Michael Jordan was alpha; Pippen was his running mate. Larry Bird was alpha; McHale was his running mate. There are also times where two alphas may be on the same team such as Kobe and Shaq; usually two alphas will clash. Point in case: LeBron and Kyrie.

Lastly, you’re very intelligent, so there’s no doubt in my mind that you know what a franchise player is. I don’t think you respect Demarcus Cousins as a man.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

BTW, there are other scenarios where a franchise player can be a superstar yet still not an alpha. Point in case: Tim Duncan is a franchise player, a superstar, yet far from an alpha.

As far as the Spurs, Popvich is the alpha.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:As far as professional basketball, Curry is a superstar. Durant is a superstar. Porzingis is a star. DeRozan, Greek Freak, AD, Cousins, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul are stars. Kyrie, LeBron, Kawhi, are superstars. When you’ve won awards like MVP voting among other stars then you become a superstar, cause you shine brighter than others.

NOTE: Most will probably feel like stars and superstars are alphas, period, but I don’t see it that way.

Westbrook and Harden are alphas. Durant isn’t an alpha. Alphas are like the leaders of their pack. They display a dominant trait that isn’t found in everyone. For example, Michael Jordan was alpha; Pippen was his running mate. Larry Bird was alpha; McHale was his running mate. There are also times where two alphas may be on the same team such as Kobe and Shaq; usually two alphas will clash. Point in case: LeBron and Kyrie.

Lastly, you’re very intelligent, so there’s no doubt in my mind that you know what a franchise player is. I don’t think you respect Demarcus Cousins as a man.
Wow shakes, thanks for the explanation :) I was mostly thinking that the terms were all synonymous and used interchangeably but you have specified clear distinctions. It is like when you hear announcers say, someone is all nba, then the next one says they are all world then the next one says, they are all universe :)

Another question, is there a hierarchy to the value of these players. There are:

Stars
Superstars
Franchise players
Aplha

What is the order of players you would like to have?

On Cousins, not sure what you mean but I respect his ability for sure. I think his time in NO has helped him a lot. He is showing more control in his game and his general demeanor. I just think that AD is more built for the current NBA but to counter myself, AD does have an injury bug but then again, Cousins just went out :) If I were choosing sides for a game, it would be difficult to choose between the two but I would probably go for AD which is why I was wondering about these classifications when I didn't think that Cousins was actually the best player on his team. Nothing to do with not respecting him in any way.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Got two beefs. Chris Paul is definitely an alpha by far and it's working for him with Harden. And I'd say that if Kuwai is a superstar than so is Adetukompo.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Cleveland getting absolutely destroyed by Houston tonight. They need to make a move or trade Bron
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

When did Lebron become the new Carmelo? LOL
shakespeare

Greek Freak hasn’t accomplished anything in the playoffs. To me, the playoffs are where stars become superstars. At this present time, Giannis and Kawhi playoff achievements are light-years apart. Chris Paul used to be alpha, but once he signed with Houston — and the perennial MVP candidate James Harden, he relinquished that title. Note: I’m sure there will be posters who’ll say LeBron did the same with Wade in Miami, although Wade’s name entered no MVP conversation the previous season and of course Miami failed to make the playoffs.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:Greek Freak hasn’t accomplished anything in the playoffs. To me, the playoffs are where stars become superstars. At this present time, Giannis and Kawhi playoff achievements are light-years apart. Chris Paul used to be alpha, but once he signed with Houston — and the perennial MVP candidate James Harden, he relinquished that title. Note: I’m sure there will be posters who’ll say LeBron did the same with Wade in Miami, although Wade’s name entered no MVP conversation the previous season and of course Miami failed to make the playoffs.
By your definition though, I would consider Paul the "alpha" and Harder the "superstar"/"Franchise" player.
taowave

Imho,any player that puts up real numbers is an alpha..

You don't succeed at anything without having an alpha mindset.

Russ,Durant,Bron,Paul,Freak,Curry,AD are all Superstars ,hence they are all Alphas..Can't be a superstar unless you are Alpha..
Last edited by taowave on February 5th, 2018, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
shakespeare

Don’t look now, but here comes the Timberwolves.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Tao. That certainly makes sense, although I respectfully disagree.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

Chris Paul, Alpha to the core. Great player, team leader type, get in your face type, plays with emotion, etc.

Harden, superstar....great player that does it all but not a rah, rah type, more of a lead by example type, doesn't show a lot of emotion, etc.

Side note....I know most people here don't seem to like MD for whatever reason but seeing his style and a guy like Harden meeting....it is just really fun to watch.
shakespeare

Who is the leader of the Houston Rockets?
#TeamTank
taowave

Harden

31 ppg 5 rpg 9apg

shakespeare wrote:Who is the leader of the Houston Rockets?
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:Who is the leader of the Houston Rockets?
Harden is one of my fav players in the league but the second CP was added to the Rockets, he became their leader.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying....Harden is the Rockets and is their best player and the face of the franchise but if you watch them play, there is little doubt who their "leader" is.

I don't even know if Harden was their leader before CP got there. It is just not his personality.
shakespeare

Are you kidding me?

Harden is the leader of the Houston Rockets.
#TeamTank
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

shakespeare wrote:Are you kidding me?

Harden is the leader of the Houston Rockets.
My point originally was that they were both alphas and it was working out. Usually it never does.
Koopa Troopa

Houston situation is really interesting. I think the reason why it works is because of how smart Chris Paul is. He reads the game so well. To put it simply Chris Paul knows when its time for him to do his thing and when its time to let Harden go crazy. Harden has also evolved into a basketball genius of his own. Its undeniable... Hes gotta be one of the greatest to ever play.

Dantoni also doesnt mind benching one or the other to always have one of the two on the court.

I really hope they can magically beat Golden State. They are way too arrogant now and act like total babies every game. Might be the same names on the jerseys but these guys have changed....and I dont like 'em