2/6/18: New York Knicks vs. Milwaukee Bucks (L 89-103)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

The torn ACL was the worst case scenario for KP that I hoped to AVOID during this entire rebuild process, tank or no tank.........AND in typical Knicks fashion, it actually fucking happened. :( :sadno: :cry:

Fuck sakes, we really need to tank MULTIPLE SEASONS before we can even have a competitive team whether KP returns back to pre-injured ACL form or not...........using Amare Stoudemire's NBA career as a primary example due to this.

Even if KP returns from this injury in decent form, KP will have to deal with this for the rest of his life........just like Patrick Ewing did with the Knicks to the point where he basically was a "broken, used car" towards the end of 2000.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Blow it all up. Keep a few vets for professionalism, trade everyone else except young player; 2 steps back tonight.
big_j_NY

cragganmor wrote:Blow it all up. Keep a few vets for professionalism, trade everyone else except young player; 2 steps back tonight.
Every trade inquiry that was asked about in the last 2-3 weeks, Mills better start answering those damn inquiries..........the deadline ends tomorrow
Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

Let's stay positive, KP will be back in his old form next season, he gave us time to build this team for his return.

This injury could be a blessing in disguise

1. We get Doncic in the draft (familiar with KP and Willy)
2. Trade Kanter, for everyone who thinks Kanter is good, he will now get exposed. I'm the greatest evaluator of talent, trade Kanter....TRUST ME!
3. Start KP's brother Willy (Willy is not going to want to leave now)
4. Start Frank
5. Evaluate THJ during the season, gauge any interest now and keep those teams in your head for the off season so we can return. If you get Doncic, you can keep THJ as his backup at SG or Courtney Lee as backup. Either way one has to go when you get Doncic and the other will be his backup.
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

big_j_NY wrote:The torn ACL was the worst case scenario for KP that I hoped to AVOID during this entire rebuild process, tank or no tank.........AND in typical Knicks fashion, it actually fucking happened. :( :sadno: :cry:

Fuck sakes, we really need to tank MULTIPLE SEASONS before we can even have a competitive team whether KP returns back to pre-injured ACL form or not...........using Amare Stoudemire's NBA career as a primary example due to this.

Even if KP returns from this injury in decent form, KP will have to deal with this for the rest of his life........just like Patrick Ewing did with the Knicks to the point where he basically was a "broken, used car" towards the end of 2000.
A torn Achilles is worse for your basketball career, which is what accelerated Ewing's decline. Amar'e had microfracture surgery like Allan Houston, which I consider the next worst thing among well-known sports injuries. Torn ACLs aren't really career killers in basketball anymore. KP isn't Derrick Rose, who exclusively relied on athleticism. Also, if you believe Rose, he thought he was better after the torn ACL to his left knee. The torn meniscus to his right knee probably hurt his game more. Shumpert had a torn ACL, but he's kind of a bum, so there isn't much of a Knick comparison to draw from in recent history.

Regardless, this season hasn't been worth watching since Hardaway went down.

big_j_NY

Championship 16/17 wrote:Let's stay positive, KP will be back in his old form next season, he gave us time to build this team for his return.

This injury could be a blessing in disguise

1. We get Doncic in the draft (familiar with KP and Willy)
2. Trade Kanter, for everyone who thinks Kanter is good, he will now get exposed. I'm the greatest evaluator of talent, trade Kanter....TRUST ME!
3. Start KP's brother Willy (Willy is not going to want to leave now)
4. Start Frank
5. Evaluate THJ during the season, gauge any interest now and keep those teams in your head for the off season so we can return. If you get Doncic, you can keep THJ as his backup at SG or Courtney Lee as backup. Either way one has to go when you get Doncic and the other will be his backup.
There is a 9-12 month recovery window for torn ACL injuries, and that is not including the amount of time it takes for a player to regain their rhythm after going down with a torn ACL............KP won't be back to form until possibly the 2020 season at the earliest, and that is being optimistic.
Irv wrote: A torn Achilles is worse for your basketball career, which is what accelerated Ewing's decline. Amar'e had microfracture surgery like Allan Houston, which I consider the next worst thing among well-known sports injuries. Torn ACLs aren't really career killers in basketball anymore. KP isn't Derrick Rose, who exclusively relied on athleticism. Also, if you believe Rose, he thought he was better after the torn ACL to his left knee. The torn meniscus to his right knee probably hurt his game more. Shumpert had a torn ACL, but he's kind of a bum, so there isn't much of a Knick comparison to draw from in recent history.
As true as you say Irv, KP has to do some major readjustment to his style of play if he wants to compensate for recovering from that torn ACL.

Even though KP isn't like Rose or Amare that relied mostly on pure vertical athleticism for their game, KP still plays like a 7 foot 3 inch WING PLAYER.......which will put a toll on his knees/legs regardless since his tall frame has to carry more mass when doing those "drives" to the basket that most wing players do.

If KP is going to come back to All-Star form from torn ACL injury, the kid is going to have to learn to play like a true big man.......meaning staying in the post area near the basket, ACCEPTING MORE CONTACT NEAR THE RIM, and being strong enough to maintain his position near the basket.

That doesn't mean KP should stop taking/making 3s, no....that's his strength and he should forever keep that in his repertoire. But this knee injury should be an eye opener that he shouldn't be RUNNING AND FLYING AROUND the court like he is a 2-guard or small forward, and that he needs to remember he is 7 foot 3 inches and should be going for high percentage baskets.
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

big_j_NY wrote:As true as you say Irv, KP has to do some major readjustment to his style of play if he wants to compensate for recovering from that torn ACL.

Even though KP isn't like Rose or Amare that relied mostly on pure vertical athleticism for their game, KP still plays like a 7 foot 3 inch WING PLAYER.......which will put a toll on his knees/legs regardless since his tall frame has to carry more mass when doing those "drives" to the basket that most wing players do.

If KP is going to come back to All-Star form from torn ACL injury, the kid is going to have to learn to play like a true big man.......meaning staying in the post area near the basket, ACCEPTING MORE CONTACT NEAR THE RIM, and being strong enough to maintain his position near the basket.

That doesn't mean KP should stop taking/making 3s, no....that's his strength and he should forever keep that in his repertoire. But this knee injury should be an eye opener that he shouldn't be RUNNING AND FLYING AROUND the court like he is a 2-guard or small forward, and that he needs to remember he is 7 foot 3 inches and should be going for high percentage baskets.
I look at it as an opportunity for KP to evolve his game. I think he would have had to make those adjustments in due time regardless. His recent shooting slump was a result of him taking an increasing amount of inefficient, contested, poor quality mid-range shots. He needs to start taking some pages out of Tim Duncan's playbook instead of often giving up the drive and pulling up. He needs to learn how to play the mid-range game effectively like Bernard King. I'm not concerned about his threes, but when the team is going to run KP in isolation, he needs to establish better positioning from the onset of the plays.

Overall, I don't think KP needs to change his game so much as add more dimensions to it, which has the net effect of reducing the amount of times he is relying on his athleticism to make plays like that dunk on Giannis, which then slightly reduces the chances that another similar injury happens again in the future. More than anything though, I think he really just needs to learn how to fucking land after a dunk.
Starbury3

Another one here who chose not to watch and missed the biggest circus mess...

I am trying to stay positive here but have we ever been in a worse situation as a franchise?

With Hardaway and Kanter also going down and not much else keeping this team afloat what is now a realistic pick zone 5-8?

Such a shame that we won't even be watchable for another few years now with KP not returning to normal form until the second half of next season (hopefully)...
Championship 16/17

Big J NY, 2020 season is next season, but I get what your saying.
rebound
Likes given: 1141

next season is the 2018-2019 season.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
big_j_NY

rebound wrote:next season is the 2018-2019 season.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

rebound wrote:next season is the 2018-2019 season.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

So fucking sad and frustrated for KP. I feel really bad for him, and I hope he keeps the moral up and comes back stronger than ever
NewlyKnicked

F*** you, Giannis
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Knicks avoid DSJ because he tore an acl in high school. Then their franchise player tears an acl. The basketball gods hate the knicks
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che
Likes given: 9

H20Knick wrote:Knicks avoid DSJ because he tore an acl in high school. Then their franchise player tears an acl. The basketball gods hate the knicks
Hilarious
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Forget about using our draft pick as sweetner to move Noah.

Wherever we land in the draft, take the BPA.
knicksH20
Likes given: 6

NewlyKnicked wrote:F*** you, Giannis

He didn't do anything wrong. Grow up
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
NewlyKnicked

knicksH20 wrote:He didn't do anything wrong. Grow up
Relax, I know he didn't mean that to happen.

The savage dunk where he wiped his scrotum on Tim's face was meant to happen though and awesomely brutal :popcorn:
Tim is officially a member of Fred Weiss club now
shakespeare

bigloley wrote:Keep KP out for the rest of the season
Well, you got your wish.
#TeamTank