Knick want Lee for a 1st only to swap it for Elfrid Payton?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Boston_PuppyDawg
Likes given: 0

The Knicks have made Courtney Lee available for a late 1st-Round Pick, hope to flip that pick for Elfrid Payton

(Via @SeanDeveney).
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Ari_Ingus

They not getting shit for Lee
rebound
Likes given: 1141

agreed. lee is a fine player but too many years at too high a salary for a team to give a first for. unless it's with a real shitty contract.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

that would be nice, but how many point guards are we going to add this season? I thought we just drafted our franchise pg
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
knicksH20
Likes given: 6

i'd love payton on this team
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
Don Che
Likes given: 9

so.. we are gonna trade a first for a player that is the same player we drafted 2 years from now? lol

i dont mind getting a PG but I'd like a guy that runs the pick and roll...shoots it at a great clip and goes to get his...Payton is very similar to Frank.
Don Che

i totally get the intrigue
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:The Knicks have made Courtney Lee available for a late 1st-Round Pick, hope to flip that pick for Elfrid Payton

(Via @SeanDeveney).
:thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Muzhik1

Getting 1st for Lee is quite possible, because Lee is having a career year and is great at free throws.

For a contending playoff team those traits are huge, because in close games those free throws can make a difference.

Let's look at it this way, Elfrid is better than Jack. He could start until Frank develops.
thewatcher

If we get Payton, Frank will move to SG, because Burke is here to stay. Not a problem.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
rebound
Likes given: 1141

thewatcher wrote:If we get Payton, Frank will move to SG, because Burke is here to stay. Not a problem.
i like ep and frank backcourt, but where does that leave timmy? i guess frank could play smallforward as he matures physically.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
H20Knick

rebound wrote:agreed. lee is a fine player but too many years at too high a salary for a team to give a first for. unless it's with a real shitty contract.
idk about that. there are a couple of desperate win-now teams that Lee would be a huuuge upgrade for. There's one in Cleveland and there's one in OKC . Shumpert and a 1st for Lee works. JR and a 1st for Lee works too and might be more desirable for Cleveland because JR's contract is long too. Lee to OKC for Abrines, Singler, and a 1st round pick also works. It makes OKC infinitely better right now and it helps the knicks cut some salary in a couple years.
In Thibs we trust.

Don Che

Tim might be the one in trouble....i ldont mind payton but he hurts the tank
Muzhik1

Don Che wrote:Tim might be the one in trouble....i ldont mind payton but he hurts the tank

Yea, Timmy does not care about tanking. I remember back 2015 that everyone was pissed at him that he was winning games and ruining our draft chances. That was when we fell to #4.

It turned out well due to the fact that we missed a couple of busts in Russel and Okafor, but KAT would have been better than KP.
thewatcher

thewatcher wrote:If we get Payton, Frank will move to SG, because Burke is here to stay. Not a problem.
rebound wrote:i like ep and frank backcourt, but where does that leave timmy? i guess frank could play smallforward as he matures physically.
you start training camp with an open competition at PG between Peyton and Burks, and SG between Tim and Frank. I would expect Payton and Tim to emerge as the starters, but that hopefully changes. I'm not crazy about Tim at SF, but that's also a possible.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
H20Knick

all i know is, we have to move lee today. At all costs. His value is never going to be higher than today. No one is desperate for good 32 year olds in the summer. I dont care if we just get a 2nd rounder for him. He needs to go for the tank.
In Thibs we trust.

dcapodic

I get why the Knicks do it, I get that another team might be interested in Lee for a late first rounder....but why does Orlando do it? Why do they flip EP for a late first rounder? Hope to find the same player with more rookie contract control? That would be a pretty big gamble on basically giving him up for nothing.

If you can essentially trade Lee for EP, I do it today, tomorrow and every day afterwards.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Don Che

how much time is left in the deadline?
dcapodic

Don Che wrote:how much time is left in the deadline?
3PM est.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
H20Knick

Don Che wrote:how much time is left in the deadline?
3 hours and 58 minutes
In Thibs we trust.