Are you sure Frank was the guy??

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

taowave
Likes given: 817

Not so sure why a NBA Pro would want to play in a European U 20 tournament..

Am I missing something,or is that in addition to the NBA summer league?
spree#8
Likes given: 540

International tournaments are widely respected in other countries, so why should he not play there if selected by his national coach? That's how other countries prepare their players for their national teams. For a generation like his that has won the two previous tournaments, that could be a goal. But I'm sure the Knicks will discuss and decide whether they think it makes more sense for him. From a schedule standpoint: Vegas is from July 6-17, while the Euro U20 is from July 14-22. So I don't think he would play in both. We don't know either way yet, so nothing to worry about for now. Just guessing that this tournament could be the reason why there were rumors Ntili might not play in Vegas. Probably not because there is already a decision, but because France will certainly ask the Knicks for permission to select him.

On another note: I'm sure his debut for his senior national team isn't that far away and the next world cup qualifier of France is June 29th, with another one July 2nd.

The FIBA changed the framework time scheduling which provides more schedule issues with the NBA (and other leagues). Stupid decision IMO.
#knickstape
taowave

No disrespect,but would a top U 20 team in Europe be a top seed in the NCAA tourney?

Just wondering how good the comp is
spree#8 wrote:International tournaments are widely respected in other countries, so why should he not play there if selected by his national coach? That's how other countries prepare their players for their national teams. For a generation like his that has won the two previous tournaments, that could be a goal. But I'm sure the Knicks will discuss and decide whether they think it makes more sense for him. From a schedule standpoint: Vegas is from July 6-17, while the Euro U20 is from July 14-22. So I don't think he would play in both. We don't know either way yet, so nothing to worry about for now. Just guessing that this tournament could be the reason why there were rumors Ntili might not play in Vegas. Probably not because there is already a decision, but because France will certainly ask the Knicks for permission to select him.

On another note: I'm sure his debut for his senior national team isn't that far away and the next world cup qualifier of France is June 29th, with another one July 2nd.

The FIBA changed the framework time scheduling which provides more schedule issues with the NBA (and other leagues). Stupid decision IMO.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

taowave wrote:No disrespect,but would a top U 20 team in Europe be a top seed in the NCAA tourney?

Just wondering how good the comp is

Are summer league teams and games that great? :? I don't know about the upcoming U20 competition (without knowing rosters), just keep your mind open. Not everything good for the development of a young prospect has to happen on US soil. What matters is that the Knicks and Ntilikina have a plan for the summer - however that looks like.

Would I like to see Frank play in the summer league? Of course. Would I be mad if he instead represents his country? No.
#knickstape
taowave

I honestly have no idea how good the U20 league is in Europe..

Could the top teams compete for an NCAA title?
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Summer league blows. Seriously? It's a eyesore of a league. The sloppiest games you'll ever watch with plenty of guys clearly not going to make the nba and rookie and sophmores who seem to get hurt.

I don't get why anyone would bash a euroleague tourney. Real coaching, more competitive play. I mean, it's like 8 fouls to foul out in d league. It's overrated as a means to see someone develop.

Frank would have more chance to develop plaguing in Europe and then coming back to NYC to play pickup at Melo's gym. Actual stars show up there and believe it or not the O.G.s share skills and experience. Tim was there this summer and came out aggressive AF.
NYGM
Likes given: 473

taowave wrote:I honestly have no idea how good the U20 league is in Europe..

Could the top teams compete for an NCAA title?
Not sure about that.. All the kids are under 20.. NCAA has guys 22 or 23 with some experience and a lot of time playing together..

What wuould be a plus is Frank leading the team from the PG postion.. Succesfully filling that role could traslate to the next season IMO..
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Yes I think Frank is the guy. He might end up the starting SF for this team and play a lot like his fellow countryman Batum.
The areas in need of improvement comes with maturity and experience on the court.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

You know this whole season I never looked at his stats. But damn if that aint sad. Cant even get 15 points huh :?

I wonder how awful the rest of his stats are.
nazrmohamed

Koopa Troopa wrote:

You know this whole season I never looked at his stats. But damn if that aint sad. Cant even get 15 points huh :?

I wonder how awful the rest of his stats are.
How many times did I say this all year? I say show me SOMETHING. You don't have to be consistent at his age. I never said I needed him to average 18, although it would be nice. But I expect him to give me something where I can say ok, this is his potential and what I might expect when he reaches full potential and what's scary is that he doesn't really have any high assist games.

You're a PG dude. Either you score or you help someone score. There are allot of Pgs these days considered good without high assist numbers. I don't really like them but I get that in the modern scoring pgs game and in systems with full team participation in passing assist numbers might not be too high. But in our case what do we have here. Do we have a scoring/lower asst pg (Kyrie)or do we have a lower scoring/higher asst pg(Rondo,Nash) or in some cases both.

I'm just concerned that this late we can't tell what the potential is. At this point it's defense and a whole lotta nothin.
taowave

Naz,I would add that he has shown good court vision at times...

I admit as a PG, he hasn't shown too many glimpses of greatness..Lonzo did special things even when he was playing poorly..

Frank is a really unusual case. I am not sure I have ever seen such a tentative PG. He's far more aggressive at the 24,yet still isn't somewhat passive..

Hopefully,Jeff let's him play PG for a bit...at this point,ild happily take a double double..

On a related note,the SF talk needs to be dismissed..
DerekHarper
Likes given: 46

i bought his shirt at the garden this year.

in the tank for frank
big time
nazrmohamed

On another note though there's this:
NBA Math (@NBA_Math) tweeted at 11:30 AM on Mon, Mar 12, 2018:
#StiZZatZ from latest @HardwoodKnocks, "Jrue Holiday is an Underrated Defender" edition

Top PnR Ball-Handler Defenders by PPP (min 150poss):
1. Frank Ntilikina: 0.66
2. Chris Paul: 0.69
3. Victor Oladipo: 0.69
4. Jrue Holiday: 0.70
5. Jaylen Brown: 0.71

https://t.co/tBedG69MDt https://t.co/R5kTN3MtwM
(

Get the official Twitter app at https://twitter.com/download?s=13

I'll shut up for a bit. But goddamn it Frank can I get one 20pt game? Just one?
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

We always say, you can't teach defense, but you can polish your offensive game. Good news is Frank is programmed to excel at defense. I believe he can gain confidence in his offensive game with experience and he'll come back next year much more focused and prepared.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
NYGM
Likes given: 473

Ntilikina is listed at 6'5", but he's also grown an inch over the season and has been told by doctors that another inch could be coming. That, combined with his seven-foot wingspan, allows him to lock down both guards and wings. Case in point: He's big enough to switch on screens and quick and long enough to fight over them and bother ball-handlers from behind. It's no coincidence that the Knicks force more turnovers and hold opponents to nearly five fewer points per 100 possessions with Ntilikina on the floor, per NBA.com.
Interesting at least.. We could be getting a 6'7 Frank next season.. I knew he was taller than THJ and Mudiay..

He needs to get stronger though.. Explosiveness and finishing at the rim will come with better conditioning..

His shot looks fine to me, just need more work but very fixable..

His handles needs a lot of work..
nazrmohamed

Holy shit, that changes everything.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

That's incredible. Frank could be special at 6'7
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave

Lol!!

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm??

The Frank supporters force is strong..
nazrmohamed wrote:Holy shit, that changes everything.
nazrmohamed

No, not at all. At 6'7 this entire farce of changing positions sounds less farce to me. It still doesn't change the fact that I expect more offensively but it makes it more digestible. At 6'7 even SF isn't too much out of reach assuming he adds some muscle to his frame. Now you got a playing wing who's an elite defender.

But I still hold out hope that he gets that offense going, his assist level up and can play PG. Cuz to me a potential Ntilikina/Bridges back court could be lethal defensively, especially if next season we're in play for Reddish or Barrett. Could have the best defensive perimeter in the nba in the near future , with KP still providing great rim protection.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Frank can play either 1 or 2

one of the better pick and roll defenders in the NBA at 19 so to me....regardless of what guard you draft...Frank guards the main playmaker 1,2 or even 3 aka a guy like Jimmy Butler.

if you get Mikal....Hes a guy that would guard the best off ball/iso scorer at the 1 or 2.

KP is elite at rim protection. KP/Frank/Mikal can all shoot it and go out on the break.

Question is...whats missing?

playmaker/rebounder/strength ...just to connect an idea from another thread......Randle does all those things...just saying.

KP wont play next year. focus on Mikal/Tim to be the main scoring options and see how far they can get you.