2018 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Imagine him and Frank in the back court?

it would be pure mayhem in summer league
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Gotta admit that I was a huge fan of the Hoyas when they played to smother teams defensively, like a swarm of UFOs. Looking forward to seeing that with Frank and Mel. That kind of menacing defense fits NYC perfectly, the fans would go nuts, can't imagine how loud it would be.
Don Che

if we leave the draft with Wendell Carter and Melvin...i'd be totally good with it
cragganmor

Ditto. Would want another wing or a project big, too.

Only watched Duke late in the season when they zoned up a lot. How is WCJ defending the p&r?
Don Che

yeh from what i saw they zoned most of the season

Bagley struggled on man to man...Wendell was better at that and protecting the rim but its really hard projecting guys on defense when they run zone.
Don Che

Comparing alize to jimmy butler

I like alize ....his defense would need to make strides but the boy can rebound handle and pass it well.

Also didn't like his lack of production jump this year but in the second.....if we go wing in lotto I'd look at alize /Vanderbilt/Greek freak 3
cragganmor

I like Alize, too; saw his name mentioned on other sleeper lists. He's definitely a late physical bloomer, went from 5'9" as a HS frosh, 6'4" as a senior and topped out at 6'9" as a college junior. A guard that grew into a big's body. Definitely work him out, I'd guess that his intangibles are pretty strong, he persevered despite rejection.
cragganmor

Nova's Eric Paschall killing KU, Spellman beastin'
Don Che

Cragg i know we brought up Zhaire Smith a while ago but after seeing his progress over the year what are your thoughts of him on the NBA level?

there are certain things that i completely love about this kids game.

High Motor
Elite Athleticism: stemming from a lower base
Elite Defender
Knows good shows vs bad ones

i know we have Tim/Mudiay/Frank/Lee/Dotson here and logically another 2 guard doesnt make sense. And I'll be first to admit that Zhaire as a prospect is more of a 13-17 range but his stock is creeping.

Its just a thought...that if you felt you have a potential all star at the 2..would you still take him? Personally I would and while i dont think ZS is an all star prospect now...i do think he's ahead of schedule when comparing to a guy like Donovan Mitchell on his freshman year. College game doesnt fit pure athletes like it does in the NBA.....if ZS goes into this draft process preparing on his handle and off the dribble game...hes gonna be a stud...same things DM needed to work on before considering the draft..difference is he showed flashes in college and his work ethic made him great as he is now. ZS is being drafted purely as a defensive guy which I think is premature....his game can unravel a whole lot more.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ell-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ith-1.html

i mean look at only the freshman year stats....its eerily similar both tweeners(DM developed into a guard in the offseason) and ZS is more advanced at that stage. DM has a much...i mean MUCH better form on his shot...but he took horrible shots in college...couldnt create space much and polished up on his reads...but i think where they both are identical is having an NBA ready body and elite athleticism coming into the league...they only really needed to focus on their skill set going into the league which is really a major advantage over most prospects.
cragganmor

His ceiling could be like a smaller Shawn Marion; a freak athlete with good defensive instincts, plays much bigger than his size. But he's gonna need time to polish his offense, not really sure where he's going to get picked. If he really improves his handle, then he'll be in the lottery.

Would love to flip Lee for a low 1st rounder, say like #26, just to be ready if he slides.
Don Che

I have a weird feeling hes gone at 15

And now knowing we are 9....I can't say his ceiling is low than miles or mikals

I wonder who's more athletic btwn him and miles...its def close.

Both miles and zhaire will go as far as their handle progresses

Zhaire's form reminds me of afflalos which I hated seeing here...not sure why or how they shoot that way
cragganmor

Agree, the handle is what holds him back. Love his motor, energy on both sides of the ball. Despite his smaller size, he could play at sf. ZS seems more explosive, a quicker twitch athlete.

Both guys could help their draft stock by getting measured and playing at the combine.

The way DD rebounds, you could go 4 guards with ZS, Frank, THJ, a shot blocker at 5. Villanova ball.
cragganmor

If ZS had a good handle, then perhaps a better comparison could be Dipo. Certainly worth taking at #9, but will he need 4 years to mature (although his rookie season was wasted making him a PG)?
Don Che

most players with work ethics make the biggest jump from now into their rookie year.

Miles, Mikal, Zhaire all need to work on their handle and be creators instead of finishers. Miles being able to run a pick and roll and get into going down hill at the top of the key...is a whole other animal and pov of him as a prospect.

Zhaire who to me is a 2 in regards to who he defends on a nightly basis needs that as well.

it really sucks that we have so many 2 guards now because this draft has a lot of them that i like.

Dotson i think is going to make a big jump this offseason in regards to his shooting.

looking at DD/Tim/Frank/Lee along with the fact that we most likely will draft a wing....just not sure how it will pan out. Even tho I personally am fine with putting Tim at the 3 next year and Frank at the 1.

Frank/DD/Tim could be our perimeter next year...but that changes our draft pov and looking more at 4's and 5's.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

I'm/100 percent down getting RJ Barrett next year he has that killer instinct I love and dude can play
Fxck Adam Silver
Don Che

Way too soon to worry about next year plus this roster isn't top 3 pick bad ATM..... falling in love with Barret will just set you up for heart break lol
rebound
Likes given: 1102

1. phoenix -ayton
2. memphis - doncic
3. atlanta - bagley
4. dallas - bamba
5. orlando - trae young
6. chicago - mpjr
7. sac - jackson jr
8. cavs - knox or carter(lebron leaves needs to pick a freshmen with a high ceiling)
9. knicks - mikal
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Don Che wrote:

Comparing alize to jimmy butler

I like alize ....his defense would need to make strides but the boy can rebound handle and pass it well.

Also didn't like his lack of production jump this year but in the second.....if we go wing in lotto I'd look at alize /Vanderbilt/Greek freak 3
An amazing summer for me is us drafting two wings. Mikal would be awesome in the first and one of your 3 would be great in the second. Then seeing us sign Randle.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Interesting points on each lottery prospects: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770 ... ttery-pick

No one is safe
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Damn, now I'll be depressed if we don't miraculously get Ayton or Doncic :(
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion