Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
10%
Fizdale
29%
Doc Rivers
2%
Mark Jackson
7%
Budenholzer
29%
Messina
No votes
Stackhouse
17%
Borrego
No votes
Becky Hammon
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:New York has received permission to talk with a former Knicks head coach – Los Angeles Clippers assistant Mike Woodson, league sources tell ESPN.
:clap:

Accountability. Problem is he'd probably win us some games ;)
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:NY is a different animal than anywhere the people here are tough and it's the media capital. Will Blatt hold players accountable? I wasn't a fan of him letting lebron walk all over him. Knicks need a tough minded coach who is willing to call players out for there shit./is blatt capable of that? BTW I think he can coach just not sure this is the market for his personality
Nys gonna be tough on any coach. The fact that they only now say it's a disappointing season, while out the other side of thier mouth talk about patience just shows what we're dealing with here. I'm sure the media in Isreal is tough too. You don't think there was pressure in Cleveland? People act as if he failed under pressure. They went to the finals and lost 2 key players. He's a good coach and this is the right situation. We got an international team, I think he's most qualified. I know we attempted some bullshit Princeton under isiah but I feel like we actually got some key pieces and could build from there while emphasizing defense.

We're signing Blatt guys.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

StevoStarks wrote:I like Woody and I think he's a solid players coach. Wouldn't be mad if it ended up being him honestly.

Fiz
Woodson
Stackhouse (deserves better for first coaching gig)
Hammon (deserves better for first coaching gig)
Blatt
Rivers
Vogel
Jackson
:thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave
Likes given: 844

I can feel Red gasping for air :happy:

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:New York has received permission to talk with a former Knicks head coach – Los Angeles Clippers assistant Mike Woodson, league sources tell ESPN.
NYGM
Likes given: 490

nazrmohamed wrote: Nys gonna be tough on any coach. The fact that they only now say it's a disappointing season, while out the other side of thier mouth talk about patience just shows what we're dealing with here. I'm sure the media in Isreal is tough too. You don't think there was pressure in Cleveland? People act as if he failed under pressure. They went to the finals and lost 2 key players. He's a good coach and this is the right situation. We got an international team, I think he's most qualified. I know we attempted some bullshit Princeton under isiah but I feel like we actually got some key pieces and could build from there while emphasizing defense.

We're signing Blatt guys.
The guy knows how to win period.. I don't buy that "media capital of the world", "harder place to win", blah, blah..

Things change, you got to give Blatt credit for what he accomplish in Cleveland with that environment.. All comes with a solid vision and full support from the front office to the players.. Media can bitch all they want but eventually winning cures all..

I want Fitzdale.. But I won't hold the "LeBron fiasco" to Blatt.. The guy came to coach a different team and suddenly he has LeBron taking over everything (with front office support) and a group of guys with their own agenda as a rookie coach..

Even in that situation he was able to raise to the occasion won at a high rate there..
taowave

The only thing I noticed about Blatt is he has a very abrasive style. I am not sure he can relate to the egos of todays players,not too mention the NY mrdia
rebound
Likes given: 1141

with noah banished, what egos would blatt have to deal with?

jay wright, stackhouse, blatt, jvg, fizzdale
any of those 5 work for me.

no to jackson,rivers,vogel,woody
their body of work speaks for itself. woody was better than hornacek but not a good fit for a team like this.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

rebound wrote:with noah banished, what egos would blatt have to deal with?
Potentially.........Porzingis.

I mean, the kid did show part of his hand last year when he blew off the exit meeting...........granted, it was 'cuz Phil is a dick.

But still, it does show some signs of a potential ego problem that could grow if not properly checked
Muzhik1
Likes given: 0

Mike Woodson is the only coach in this millennium, who made this team fun to watch. He has proven he can handle New York.

I would stay away from Stackhouse. This is not a team for inexperienced coaches. I would be Derek Fisher all over again.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Muzhik1 wrote:Mike Woodson is the only coach in this millennium, who made this team fun to watch. He has proven he can handle New York.

I would stay away from Stackhouse. This is not a team for inexperienced coaches. I would be Derek Fisher all over again.
Yes it is, WE'RE TANKING
Minkaveli
Likes given: 175

1. Fiz
2. Stack
3. Blatt/Woodson

Rooting for Woodson and Fiz. Stack I think can be good long term. I've heard too many inconsistencies on Mark and JVG might have had the game pass him by with today's generation.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Red

Tao they said they wanted a defensive minded coach. ;)

taowave wrote:I can feel Red gasping for air :happy:

...and player development. Not exactly up his alley. :popcorn:
The Mecca of Mess
taowave

Red,I am beyond shocked that they contacted Woodson..

I know we bust each other's balls,but he really not my guy.I thought he did a decent job considering the circumstances and got caught in a management change..But I don't see him making a comeback

Red wrote:Tao they said they wanted a defensive minded coach. ;)

...and player development. Not exactly up his alley. :popcorn:
NYGM
Likes given: 490

Woodson would be about courtesy IMO.. Not a chance..

Mills and Perry talked about a coach who can relate to this new generation of players, who can put a defensive oriented team together and be liked and respected around the league..

That screams "young coach"..

I'm not familiar with Stack as a coach so i would expect someone with at least some experience in the league..
Jackson, Fizdale and Stackhouse will interview this week. Blatt, who coached in Turkey this season, also is expected to meet with Knicks officials this week.

A league source confirmed that the Knicks requested and received permission to talk to Clippers assistant coach Mike Woodson. The former Knicks coach — the last one to lead them to the playoffs — is an assistant under Doc Rivers. ESPN first reported the interest in Woodson.

Knicks officials said they are looking for a coach who stresses defense, holds players accountable and can relate to today’s players.

The four men the Knicks are set to interview have long been rumored as candidates for the job if the Knicks fired Jeff Hornacek — who indeed was fired Thursday morning after two years as their coach.

Jackson is from Brooklyn and played for the Knicks. Currently, an ABC analyst, he coached the Warriors for three years and guided them to the playoffs twice.

Fizdale was fired earlier this season by the Memphis Grizzlies after coaching them to the playoffs last season. Before that, he worked on Erik Spoelstra’s staff in Miami when the Heat reached four straight NBA Finals and won two championships.

Stackhouse, a former player who was with the Pistons when Perry was an executive with the team, has become a hot coaching prospect. In the past two seasons, he led Toronto’s G League team to the championship round each year.

Blatt, a successful European coach, spent a year and half in the NBA with the Cavaliers. They reached the NBA Finals in his first season but he was fired midway through his second. Blatt was a college teammate of Mills and Craig Robinson, the Knicks’ vice president of player development.
I they let Fizdale go without a commitment they going to lose him right away.. He's one of the top coaches around..

That would mean they're zero in on Blatt..
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Nys gonna be tough on any coach. The fact that they only now say it's a disappointing season, while out the other side of thier mouth talk about patience just shows what we're dealing with here. I'm sure the media in Isreal is tough too. You don't think there was pressure in Cleveland? People act as if he failed under pressure. They went to the finals and lost 2 key players. He's a good coach and this is the right situation. We got an international team, I think he's most qualified. I know we attempted some bullshit Princeton under isiah but I feel like we actually got some key pieces and could build from there while emphasizing defense.
Coaching lebron will always have pressure becuae with him its chsmpionship or bust.
NBA players have bigger egos than overseas guys. Even the scrub/players think they are somebody worth catering to. I'm not questioning his coaching ability. His Turkish team just won the euro cup title. I'm just not sold on him under the media here and his ability to keep players in check.

Whispers about the lack of attention various Cavs players are paying to Blatt during some timeout huddles, as well as their apparent preference to communicate with Cavs assistant and former NBA player Tyronn Lue, have been in circulation for weeks."

This was a quote during his time with the cavs
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/29 ... iers-coach

For the record I would take him over mark Jackson easily. He is who I don't want at all
Fxck Adam Silver
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

My number 1 choice is jay wright

Blatt over fizdale I think

Stackhose is that sleeper who I think could be great
Fxck Adam Silver
Red

My guess is that Fizdale is their guy being first contacted.
MJ & JVG is where they cater to the fans.

Wright and Blatt may be them doing their due diligence.

And Woodson is them trying to stir up conversation about their man. Like NYGM said a courtesy. :?

Idk how Jerry Stackhouse is better than any of the above.
The Mecca of Mess
Nononsense

I'm not crazy about any of the candidates thus far:

Mark Jackson - had a great record with a stacked GSW squad that improved after he left
JVG - hardnosed, defensive-minded Pat Riley disciple, except Riley has a knack for changing with the times and staying relevant...
Blatt - better known as the guy who held a clipboard while LeBron dragged the team to the finals year after year
Woodson - Old-school coach that did all he could his first stint here and came up short with a more talented team in a weaker East
Wright - see Pitino
Fizdale - just not convinced
Stackhouse - scratching my head...

I guess the one I'd be on board with most is Doc Rivers. He has that old-Knick connection that JVG & Jax has, but he's also a proven coach with a proven track record that has coached recently and should still be in touch with the game. But have the Knicks even reached out to him?
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

Muzhik1 wrote:I would stay away from Stackhouse. This is not a team for inexperienced coaches. I would be Derek Fisher all over again.
Red wrote:Idk how Jerry Stackhouse is better than any of the above.
Nononsense wrote:Stackhouse - scratching my head...
No, Derek Fisher is Derek Fisher all over again. Fisher was handed a head coaching gig on the heels of his retirement.

Stackhouse was 2017 D-League Coach of the Year, 2017 D-League champion, and made this year's finals as well. He won it all at a lower level and was an assistant coach for the Raptors prior to that. His Raptors 905 team has been the best defensive team in the league for two years in a row. This season, they allowed over four fewer points per game than the second-best defensive team in the G League, the Westchester Knicks. Offensively, Stackhouse's system features good ball movement; it isn't '90s ball. His 2016-17 team was also a top-five offense in most advanced statistics. He also has a rep for effectively communicating with his players.

I swear people don't do their research unless their favorite guys were once Knicks.
Nononsense wrote:I guess the one I'd be on board with most is Doc Rivers. He has that old-Knick connection that JVG & Jax has, but he's also a proven coach with a proven track record that has coached recently and should still be in touch with the game. But have the Knicks even reached out to him?
Have the Knicks even reached out to Gregg Popovich?

Doc Rivers is still employed as a head coach. Also, I'm not interested in buying in on the Austin Rivers experience.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Muzhik1 wrote:Mike Woodson is the only coach in this millennium, who made this team fun to watch. He has proven he can handle New York.

Jerry has coaching experience.... Fisher didn't... and say what u want about Fisher but he had that g league roster competing as hard as they possibly can....KP was defending and rebounding...and before he was fired...we were on pace to winning more games than expected with a Jose/afflalo/Melo perimeter Lol think about where they are today, he actually had Melo buy in...just had a legit horrible roster with it.

His d*ick and TMZ was his demise. He made mistakes as a coach but he never coached anything at all...by now he'd be better.

As for Woodson.... he likes vets.... he relies on them so unless you plan to run all the youth out.... its pointless but I think he does have a chance for the gig...which just proves how retarded all of them are.