What to do with Noah?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

What to do with Noah?

Keep him, and play him for 10-15 mpg, mentoring the young guys
55%
Keep him, but as far as possible from our younglings, Hornacek's style
9%
Wave him, and pay him his two remaining seasons ($18.5 million in 2018-19 and $19.3 million in 2019-20)
9%
Wave him before Sept 1st and stretch him ($7,565,000 per year from 2018-19 through 2022-23)
No votes
Wave him after Sept 1st and stretch him ($6.4 million per year from 2019-20 through 2021-22)
18%
Trade him - LOL
9%

Total votes: 11
spree#8
Likes given: 540

NewlyKnicked wrote:with $21mil projected free cap, we won't be able to bring even one max FA in 2019 if everything stays at it is
We can create a max slot in 2019 simply by waiving and stretching Noah in 2019 without making any other moves. So there is no rush to make any move before next summer unless he did something so bad to Hornacek that the Knicks would lose their face in front of the returning players. If he is allowed back, you can play him as our best big defender and try to raise his trade value. As an expiring he might be tradeable if he has an Ok season.
#knickstape
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

What I'd do is work out multiple moves. Find a way to trade Hardaway/Lee in moves where I may land a draft pick for expirings and then flip the pick to a team willing to take on Noahs contract
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

I voted to keep him. Not sure if he’s the mentor type, but surely he can bring something to the table, especially since our front court players are fairly inexperienced and/or rookies.
#TeamTank
gradyandrew

Noahs a competitor. Can he really take another year of not playing on a non playoff team? I'm guessing that he'll eventually agree to a buyout.
Randle in the Rafters
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Haha come on, his towel just slipped a bit. Nothing to see there.

I couldn’t see extra fat, so good news even tho I’d prefer to see his ass in a gym (and not practicing stupid 3pt but FT also if that’s not too much to ask)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
gradyandrew

cragganmor wrote:Joakim Noah makes 3s so now we should keep him!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think he's serious about coming back. Could a head-to-head battle with Enes.
TBH, Noah is hopeless as a roll man so maybe developing a clunky 3 point shot is his only legitimate hope at ever seeing court time again.
Randle in the Rafters
Ari_Ingus

NewlyKnicked wrote:Haha come on, his towel just slipped a bit. Nothing to see there.

I couldn’t see extra fat, so good news even tho I’d prefer to see his ass in a gym (and not practicing stupid 3pt but FT also if that’s not too much to ask)
i`m really wondering, if a person can hit 3pt, shouldn`t he be able to hit FT much better as well? Or is it totally different shot?
gradyandrew

He hates going to the line now so he's hoping by hanging out at the 3 pt line he can avoid them.
Randle in the Rafters
gradyandrew

I rewatched the second half of the 12-30 at Pelicans game last night (fucking offseason ,right?)

It was the only game Noah played longer than 10 minutes, of the 6 games he appeared in it was one of 2 when he played longer than 5, and also one of 2 games it wasn't a blow out. So, really if we want to judge Noah, that's the place to look.

And what? Well, depite my pessimism, he still is/was mostly the same player. He still excels at positional and man to man defense. Though he still made some mistakes, DMC was clearly frustrated by his defense. His hands were active and he was able to read the action and know when to sag off his man and when to commit.

I have a lot of love for Jeff, and truly, in limited minutes, coming off the bench in a blow out, Noah wasn't that good, but then again who really is in those situations?

Neither a buy out or a stretch and waive are good outcomes or really neccessary. What's the rush? The Knicks need to build up his value at the beginning of the season and see if they can find a trade partner. Mitch won't be ready to start the season and probably the best thing for his development would be going up against Noah everyday in practice. Enes spent most of his last season in OKC playing next to Adams, and there's really no reason not to think that Noah- Kanter could share time on the court.

If the Knicks can build up his value, they might be able to trade him. Gallinari would be a good target. While his salary is slightly higher (3 million more in 2019-20), he seems like more of a Fizdale type player, whereas Noah's defense will fit right in under Doc. At the end of the day, 3 million more for a 2019-20 season with Gallo instead of Noah seems like a fair price to pay.
Randle in the Rafters
spree#8

The question for the organization is: can they allow him to rejoin the team? We as fans can't answer this question, because we don't know how bad the incident with Hornacek was. Perry/Mills and the returning players know and even though we all wish that there can be a way back so we get a better outcome than waiving him, the answer might be no. In that case the problem becomes finding a trade before training camp (which then would be the best outcome).

What I wonder is when do teams that waive a player have to make the decision on stretching the salary also for cap purposes? (The payments get stretched automatically, but for cap purposes you have the option). Haven't found an answer on that question in the CBA nor the CBA FAQ, so it might be interesting to follow this case closely...

If we can waive Noah before training camp, but can make the decision on stretching or not next summer depending on need, that outcome is not too bad.
#knickstape
gradyandrew

spree#8 wrote:The question for the organization is: can they allow him to rejoin the team? We as fans can't answer this question, because we don't know how bad the incident with Hornacek was. Perry/Mills and the returning players know and even though we all wish that there can be a way back so we get a better outcome than waiving him, the answer might be no. In that case the problem becomes finding a trade before training camp (which then would be the best outcome).

What I wonder is when do teams that waive a player have to make the decision on stretching the salary also for cap purposes? (The payments get stretched automatically, but for cap purposes you have the option). Haven't found an answer on that question in the CBA nor the CBA FAQ, so it might be interesting to follow this case closely...

If we can waive Noah before training camp, but can make the decision on stretching or not next summer depending on need, that outcome is not too bad.
Yeah, this is definitely the season we want to keep Noah's salary on the books. What are these guys (Fiz, Perry, Mills) getting paid for if they can't even get Joakim back in the fold? :?

I rewatched the 4th quarter of his last game vs GSW last night. Knicks were competitive in the first half but gave up the ghost in the 3rd. By the time Noah checked in they were down 10. 4-5 minutes later he was pulled for Kanter with the Knicks down 14. When he was pulled he said something like, "What? Let me stay in." Then at the end of the game he put his head down and Courtney gave him a hug around the neck. Noah was fed up with the losing, Jeff, well he did his usual grin and bear it. Anyway, waiving him now and stretching two years of salary seems like the worst possible outcome, hopefully management will come up with a better solution.
Randle in the Rafters
spree#8

gradyandrew wrote:... Anyway, waiving him now and stretching two years of salary seems like the worst possible outcome, hopefully management will come up with a better solution.
:? Not sure where you got that impression, that won't happen. We will definitely stretch maximally the last year. This year's salary counts in full for this season after September 1.
#knickstape
gradyandrew

Awesome
Randle in the Rafters
Championship 16/17

When was the last time a team waived and stretched a player?
NewlyKnicked

Godamnit, even the Lakers are about to get rid of Luol (still need to see how much he leaves on the table though), why can't we reach such an agreement to get Noah out once and for all

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2454 ... ent-buyout
spree#8

NewlyKnicked wrote:Godamnit, even the Lakers are about to get rid of Luol (still need to see how much he leaves on the table though), why can't we reach such an agreement to get Noah out once and for all

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2454 ... ent-buyout
Because today is the first day, where such an agreement can be made while stretching the last year of the contract only until 21-22 instead of 22-23.
September 1st 2018 at 2:09pm CST by Mark Suleymanov
2:09pm: Deng gave back $7.5MM on the $36.8MM left on his contract, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne (Twitter link). By using the waive-and-stretch provision, the Lakers will have approximately $38MM in salary cap space next summer.
Let's see if we can get Noah to give up a similar amount if we don't allow him back.
#knickstape
rebound
Likes given: 1104

why do it early unless he agrees to a similar buy out?
why not just let him rot on the roster away from the team like last season?
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

rebound wrote:why do it early unless he agrees to a similar buy out?
why not just let him rot on the roster away from the team like last season?
That is the question that we need to ask Team Mills/Perry............maybe those 2 know something about Noah that we fans do not know that makes him "too PUBLICLY toxic" to keep on the roster for the duration of his contract
NewlyKnicked

The best solution for everyone (apart from Noah coming back and actually contributing with playmaking, defense and mentoring of course) would still be a buy out with Noah leaving enough on the table for us not to have to stretch him.