2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

Mitch
Barret
Smith
Knox
Kornet/Von/Dot/Another draft pick

Ild play the youth..Is that a blatant tank???

Is it closer to a lottery team or a playoff squad??

Im thinking sub 30 wins..Not sure if you consider that intentional tanking.

Whats your thought at playing the youngins??
I actually am thinking along the same lines. Though, I'd expand your list to include Lance, Trier and Frank (and take off Kornet!)

This is shaping up to be a hangover off season like 2016 and 2010 (summers of LBJ and KD if my counting is off). Especially if KD, Kawhi, Kyrie, Kemba, and Butler switch teams. Tobias Harris and Khris Middleton are not good value at the max, but will likely get paid that way. LAL, LAC and Nets have max space and rosters ready to win now. Knicks roster is too young and unproven but it does have potential.
To me the best play is using our space like Sean Marks and the Nets did to help teams lessen their tax or open up space for their own FA in exchange for future picks. While Carrol was massively overpayed, he did change the culture in BKLYN buy always playing hard.

The biggest caveat is this. If Milwaukee beats Kawhi and the Raptors and then GSW and KD, we're the only team that could sign both of them. Those two only care about winning.
Randle in the Rafters
Red

Just sayin there's a lot of layers here. There's the do you tank although the worse teams with the best odds didn't win out in the past?

There's the assumption that RJ Barrett will be both available and chosen by the Knicks.

Comparing tank strategy and odds although they weren't the same as in the past.

So you have whether or not tanking works? Is it worth the risk? Is there any risk? What's a losing team? What's a winning team? What's a win or loss in lottery standings and can that be quantified during the season? Are there any negative ramifications from losing (sometimes on purpose)?

Being the worse team- did we win at 3 or get lucky we weren't #4 or 5? Lots of ways to view this.

This isn't just about playing the odds as it seems. It's about timing, luck, talent evaluation and roster building plus more. In my simple way I've chosen to rate tanking on the outcome of the 1st or 2nd draft pick viewing Zion or Ja as worth the risk.

But now if you say a perennial losing team has no risk in losing on purpose in pursuit of higher draft picks then my next question is do you believe higher draft picks equate to higher talent? If so then thats the risk. Perhaps we should just check out and come back after we lose on purpose and actually get the top pick. Then we can win on purpose.

Lots of projections etc..

No way of knowing without setting the standard forst.first. my standard was zion ja or bust not please no number 4 or 5 picks.
The Mecca of Mess
taowave
Likes given: 844

My list was only for potential starters.
Your guys are my guys too...

Kornet was there as I don't think we will pay up for Von,and we dont have a 4..could have gone small with Dot/Barret at the 3..

I can take another year of psin watching the young his develop
taowave

Red,I dont think Ja is out of the equation. I haven't followed RJ,but a lot of guys(execs) feel he is a boafide stud..
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

taowave wrote:Red,I dont think Ja is out of the equation. I haven't followed RJ,but a lot of guys(execs) feel he is a boafide stud..

i would guess that the majority of people who followed college basketball all year on this board would rank RJ over Ja. Some would find it downright crazy to see someone's "im happy with" list sit at just Zion and Ja and ignore RJ. Yes, Ja had some great games and some great triple doubles and has great assist numbers... RJ also scored 30+ points in 6 games and shot above .500 from the floor in 5 of them. He shot over .500 against Virginia twice, dropping 30 on their heads the first time and 26 the next. He had 9 games with double digit rebis. His strength of schedule tears Ja's to shreds. And youre comparing a freshman to a sophomore. WHO WAS JA MORANT AS A FRESHMAN. WHO!? Please someone give me a fantasy machine to send RJ Barrett to Murray state to play as a sophomore in the fucking OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE and report back to how he looks.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Red

Zion is LeBron + 30lbs

Ja Morant is Russell Westbrook

RJ is Demar Derozan.

And the ceiling is the roof. Lol

I don't really like Derozan.
The Mecca of Mess
H20Knick

Red wrote:Zion is LeBron + 30lbs

Ja Morant is Russell Westbrook

RJ is Demar Derozan.

And the ceiling is the roof. Lol

I don't really like Derozan.
RJ's game and Derozan's game are nothing alike.
In Thibs we trust.

Red

Not exact but they have similar build and RJ was a fan of Derozan growing up so I'm assuming he's influenced his game.

After some research I'll support RJ at 3 and my 6th sense tells me Fizz will take him or JA at 3 no need to consider anyone else at this time.
The Mecca of Mess
knicksH20
Likes given: 6

Red wrote:Not exact but they have similar build and RJ was a fan of Derozan growing up so I'm assuming he's influenced his game.

After some research I'll support RJ at 3 and my 6th sense tells me Fizz will take him or JA at 3 no need to consider anyone else at this time.
I'm a huge fan of Michael Jordan and he has definitely influenced my game.

Point: who you admire and body similarities have nothing to do with their games.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
CommonSense
Likes given: 13

Red, I’m wondering what your plan would be to build a title contender? Like specifics, besides “win as many games as you can”...Looking at our roster from this year(pre or post KP trade), how do you make that team a champion?
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra

Inaugural 2019 NYKFP Mock Free Agency Competition Champion :drunk:
gradyandrew

CommonSense wrote:Red, I’m wondering what your plan would be to build a title contender? Like specifics, besides “win as many games as you can”...Looking at our roster from this year(pre or post KP trade), how do you make that team a champion?
Take it to the extreme and go like the Doc Rivers GMed Clips and use draft picks as assets for trades.
Randle in the Rafters
H20Knick

red, do you care to comment on how the lakers and the pelicans upped their draft positions by resting two of the league's best players once they realized they werent going to make the playoffs? SUPERSTAR players.

how many games did AD play in the 2nd half of the season? How many games did he play on some phony minutes restriction?

Lebron shutting it down because why bother if youre not going to make the playoffs?

were they not rewarded for tanking?
In Thibs we trust.

taowave

What Red doesnt realize is since 2001,we have been that 30 win team with the exception of the Melo/Woodson 54 win squad...and we know how he feels about that squad :drunk: ..He is correct that the new format increases the odds of the 30+ win squad,but in no way does it level the playing field.

Its really kind of silly to argue that its better to win 30 plus games because Memphis,NO and the Lakers defied the odds....

And lets be honest..there are very few markets in the NBA where you can tank and reap the benefits and still have a shot at the major free agents...New York and the L.A. happen to be two of them
H20Knick

taowave wrote:What Red doesnt realize is since 2001,we have been that 30 win team with the exception of the Melo/Woodson 54 win squad...and we know how he feels about that squad :drunk:

Its really kind of silly to argue that its better to win 30 plus games because Memphis,NO and the Lakers defied the odds....

And lets be honest..there are very few markets in the NBA where you can tank and reap the benefits and still have a shot at the major free agents...New York and the L.A. happen to be two of them
i like Red, but I really do imagine him as this crotchety old man on a rocking chair doing his best perpetual scrooge impression. In my mind he coached some high school sport 20 years ago and cant stop talking about how you gotta leave it alll on the court/field and that there IS NO TOMORROW.
In Thibs we trust.

StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Hahaha, you’ve got a tough crowd Red. I have to agree with them.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

H20Knick wrote: i like Red, but I really do imagine him as this crotchety old man on a rocking chair doing his best perpetual scrooge impression. In my mind he coached some high school sport 20 years ago and cant stop talking about how you gotta leave it alll on the court/field and that there IS NO TOMORROW.
With the way some other ppl besides Red has been bitching about the tank process this season, you can associate this quote for damn near 50% of the active members of this site as well.

That 50% and their god damn "PLEASE TRADE EVERYTHING FOR A RENTAL ANTHONY DAVIS NOW" schemes
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

Actually Red is 100 percent right. We got lucky, ask the fans of Cleveland Phoenix, Chicago and Atlanta. The new antitanking rules are decisive.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave

Watcher,you should know better...Red is not right

This selection process was a statistical outlier,not the norm.

How lucky did we get?? Look at the odds/probability pre selection. We actually wound up close to the most likely spot.

Red is only right that tanking is not richly rewarded,but don't confuse a 150-1 shot hitting as the new norm...

If you ask me,once 4th was announced we became the prohibitive favorite mathematically,and we crapped out at 3

thewatcher wrote:Actually Red is 100 percent right. We got lucky, ask the fans of Cleveland Phoenix, Chicago and Atlanta. The new antitanking rules are decisive.
Last edited by taowave on May 16th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

We were lucky compared to the teams I mentioned. Tanking took a big hit from the rule changes.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave

Oh,that's for dam sure,but that was H20 counter to Red..

thewatcher wrote:We were lucky compared to the teams I mentioned. Tanking took a big hit from the rule changes.