Entitled Jeremy Lin

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Entitled Jeremy Lin

Postby knicksH20 » July 30, 2019, 4:24 pm

Seriously, I wasn't really into Linsanity all that much and rolled my eyes back in 2012. And now this. No wonder I always had this underlying problem with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video ... ttom-video

A tearful Jeremy Lin said 'rock bottom just seems to keep getting more and more rock bottom for me' as the 30-year-old struggles to catch on with a team in free agency. Addressing a Christian group in Taiwan, Lin revealed that he thinks the NBA has given up on him, but also said that he hoped his speech would motivate others to not give up in the face of adversity.

Lin became the first Asian-American player to win a championship while playing for the Toronto Raptors last season, but was often injured and benched during the play-offs, making him believe he 'didn't really earn' the title. He added that if he ever has a son, he hopes he will not be drafted to the NBA, where your 'life and failures are on display to the entire world'.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Re: Entitled Jeremy Lin

Postby Irv » July 30, 2019, 11:51 pm

Why I ultimately don't feel bad for him:

Code: Select all

Season                     Team         Lg   Salary
2010-11   Golden State Warriors        NBA   473604
2011-12         New York Knicks        NBA   762195
2012-13         Houston Rockets        NBA  8374646
2013-14         Houston Rockets        NBA  8374646
2014-15      Los Angeles Lakers        NBA  8374646
2015-16       Charlotte Hornets        NBA  2100000
2016-17           Brooklyn Nets        NBA 11483254
2017-18           Brooklyn Nets        NBA 12000000
Career                 (may be incomplete) 51942991

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 7/30/2019.

That also doesn't include the $14.3 million he earned in 2018-19.

Okay, I watched more of the speech than what was in the Guardian clip. Now, I know money and mental health don't correlate, and I know his target audience for this speech was a religious congregation, but if the NBA doesn't want you, so what? I guess he was trying to be inspirational, but you can't talk about struggle on any plane of existence when your net worth is many times that of your entire audience. So, to him, it's not about the money nor the fame. What's left? Purpose? Every NBA player is going to retire eventually. Better get working on a plan sooner than later. Save the laughable crocodile tears and sad piano music during the almost hour-long speech. That's some fucking Razzie Award material there.

There's a part of the video where he's just moping about how other NBA players are more talented and don't need to work as hard as he does. How nothing he does in practice seems to matter and how he gets unfairly treated by the league. What do you want, a cookie? Then he says, "God can make me as good of a player [as anyone] in a snap of a finger." Shortly followed by, "My fear for my career has always been to not be the player I knew I could be." Yeah, this is too much.

Marbury was far more unhinged when the NBA shunned him, and look what he did with his second professional basketball career.

I'm with you, knicksH20. It's like he has some belief that his skillset is more important to the NBA than his race, when all his illogical stans are in his corner for the latter, not the former. That's not to say his race shouldn't matter to his identity, but NBA teams aren't looking for a token Asian on their roster. Lin is a 30-year-old vet whose skillset hasn't advanced beyond the Linsanity days and would basically be the equivalent of Dennis Smith Jr. on today's Knicks without any of the youth, athleticism, or upside.

Seriously, Lin's advanced stats are ugly and this is an advanced stats-obsessed league now. He's a deep bench player on a good team. What "benefit of the doubt" does he deserve? What's more relevant now, the game-winning three to beat Toronto during peak Linsanity, or all the airballs and bricks he's shot from beyond the arc in the clutch since then? He's not making a case for being continually relevant on an NBA court much like Tim Tebow didn't make a good case for being continually relevant on an NFL field.

Ultimately, all this is to say, a small part of me still enjoys shitting on Lin just to troll his delusional stans who can't talk about Lin without shitting on anybody else, be it Kobe, Carmelo, or any point guard who has started over him on all the teams he's been on in his career. I honestly think Lin is an okay, albeit odd and overly self-righteous guy, but the latter ultimately makes me not like him that much. Lin stans on the other hand...they're the spiritual ancestors of Frank Ntilikina stans on the Knicks subreddit. They're the fucking Beyhive of marginal players who have worn a Knicks uniform.
Irv
Administrator

Postby bobhait » July 31, 2019, 1:45 am

Carmelo Anthony cannot find a team, yet Jeremy Lin thinks he's supposed to get a contract?

honestly, fuck that scrub - when we needed Lin the most he sat out the playoffs, saying he was, what, 85%? then he fucked us and bolted to the Rockets on a ridiculous qualifying offer the Knicks couldn't match. since he went to Houston he's been exposed as a scrub every NBA stop he had, yet kept collecting big paychecks, and now even has a championship ring... why am I supposed to feel sorry for him?
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby H20Knick » July 31, 2019, 7:22 am

Irv wrote: FACTS

:clap:
In RJ we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Irv » July 31, 2019, 11:12 am

One more thing to add: $473,604 can get you a helluva extended stay hotel room. Lin chose to sleep on Landry Fields's couch. That tired rags-to-riches folk hero narrative is colossal bullshit. He went to Harvard. He grew up in one of the most expensive areas of the country. He wasn't scraping by at any point in his life. His life story is not more relatable than any other journeyman point guard, but it sure has created one of the worst legions of stans in all of professional sports.
Irv
Administrator

Postby knicksH20 » July 31, 2019, 1:52 pm

Irv wrote:One more thing to add: $473,604 can get you a helluva extended stay hotel room. Lin chose to sleep on Landry Fields's couch. That tired rags-to-riches folk hero narrative is colossal bullshit. He went to Harvard. He grew up in one of the most expensive areas of the country. He wasn't scraping by at any point in his life. His life story is not more relatable than any other journeyman point guard, but it sure has created one of the worst legions of stans in all of professional sports.

Seriously. 100. of everything you wrote in your two posts ^
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Postby cragganmor » August 25, 2019, 8:05 pm

Irv wrote:One more thing to add: $473,604 can get you a helluva extended stay hotel room. Lin chose to sleep on Landry Fields's couch. That tired rags-to-riches folk hero narrative is colossal bullshit. He went to Harvard. He grew up in one of the most expensive areas of the country. He wasn't scraping by at any point in his life. His life story is not more relatable than any other journeyman point guard, but it sure has created one of the worst legions of stans in all of professional sports.

Actually, his dad had to file for bankruptcy in the 90s, not particularly well off. The family doesn't live in a mansion on the swanky part of Palo Alto. Just look it up in the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/spor ... ement.html
cragganmor

Return to NBA